You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Posted on 12-11-2013
Owning a chiropractic business is no easy task. With seeing patients, managing the office, and keeping a personal life, the very last thing on a chiropractor’s mind is what is happening with Google’s algorithm. At ChiroMatrix, we are here to help. In this blog, I’ll cover the basics on Google’s latest update, “Hummingbird.”
Hummingbird is unique from the other Google updates we have discussed. Previous updates (like Panda and Penguin) affected ranking factors (and therefore website rankings). Hummingbird changes how search engine results are displayed.
It is an effort made by Google to make online search better, more direct, and more user-friendly. Conversational search is now an option on Google. You can literally talk to Google, ask a question, and (if all works right) get the most relevant result(s). With the roll-out of Hummingbird, you can ask things like “where can I buy foot levelers?” Instead of listing links with some of those keywords, Google now understand that you want to purchase foot levelers and will return results that enable you to do that. Simply stated, Google is getting better at understanding the intent behind a search.
As a chiropractor, there isn’t much you need to worry about. Hummingbird is essentially Google working to improve its core product to deliver the best results. Hummingbird was rolled out in September 2013 and really didn’t shake up search rankings too much. That being said, as a chiropractic practice owners, there are several things you can do to improve your chiropractic website and optimize for the future:
1. Regularly update your chiropractic content. The old saying that “content is king” is still valid. Ultimately, the best way to get your chiropractic website to rank well is to consistently generate quality chiropractic content. This can take time, but it is effective. Check out our Dominator service to receive quality, optimized content from our writing team.
2. Add Google Authorship. Google Authorship is a great way to improve your click-through-rate in search engine results. It can be easy to set up and will make a strong impact.
3. Invest in mobile. Internet usage continues to expand, and mobile devices are a huge component of that growth. Make sure your website is mobile-friendly. Give us a call and ask us about our newest mobile-optimized skin.
4. Write a question-focused page. As Google becomes more conversational with Hummingbird, consider making your website more conversational. Write a FAQ page to show that you have content on your website that reflects the conversational model.
5. Include schema markup. Schema is a bit more technical, but adding it to your chiropractic website tells search engines more information than just content can. If you have a chiropractic website through ChiroMatrix, don’t worry: our ChiroMatrix websites are automatically enabled with all the important schema markup you’ll need.
If you have more questions about Hummingbird and the impact on your chiropractic practice, give us a call at 1-800-IMATRIX today.
There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.