What Is Google Authorship?
Youâ€™ve likely seen faces showing up in your Google search results. This is a product of Google Authorship hard at work. Not only does Authorship increase recognition for the Author, it also helps your web pages to stand out on the Search Engine Results Pages (SERPS). Standing out from your competition in SERPs is instrumental to attracting new patients or clients.
Ever wonder how itâ€™s done? Donâ€™t worry, even if you arenâ€™t technical, this is an easy thing to set up. (If you need additional help with setup, please call Support at 1-800-IMATRIX.) Now, letâ€™s see what it takes to set up Authorship on your website.
Getting Started with Authorship
You will need a Google account, Google+ profile (a high quality photo of yourself), and of course a professional website. There are a few ways to set up Google Authorship, but we will use one of the most common methods of implementation. Additionally, we have the Google Rich Snippet Tool to check our work after we are done. After you sign up for a Google+ profile, follow the steps below.
Part One â€“ Set Up a Contributor Link on Your Profile
1. Browse to your â€œAboutâ€ tab.
2. Scroll down to â€œLinks.â€
3. Hit â€œEdit.â€
4. Find the â€œContributor toâ€ section.
5. Select â€œAdd custom link.â€
6. â€œLabelâ€ should be your businessâ€™ name.
7. â€œURLâ€ should be your website address exactly as it appears in the search results.
8. Once done hit â€œSave.â€
Part Two – Edit Your Website to Complete Setup
1. In your content, add a byline that says: â€œBy (Fill in Your Name)â€
2. Create a text link somewhere on the page for â€œYour Nameâ€ and link it to your Google+ profile.
3. Be sure to include rel=author in that link.
It should look something like this:
By <a href=â€https://plus.google.com/
4. To test your efforts, navigate to Google Rich Snippet Testing Tool, insert your website address, and hit â€œPreview.â€
If you were successful you will see â€œAuthorship is working for this webpageâ€ under the â€œAuthorship Testing Resultâ€ section. If not, recheck the steps above.
It will take some time for Google to recognize your efforts, ie. before your Authorship shows up in search results. For more information about optimizing your website, call 1-800-IMATRIX to speak with an Internet Consultant.