What Is Google Authorship?
You have probably noticed the Google search results that have faces next to them. These types of results reflect Google Authorship working. In addition to increasing author recognition (aka. Credibility and thought leadership), Authorship also makes your web pages stand out in the Search Engine Results Pages (SERPs). If you want to attract new patients and beat your competition, you need Google Authorship.
Have you wondered how it’s done? Even if you aren’t super technical, don’t worry, authorship is easy to set up. (If you try to set it up yourself and it doesn’t work, call our support team at 1-800-IMATRIX.) Let’s get started on setting up Authorship on your chiropractic website.
Getting Started with Authorship
Before you can set up Authorship, you need a Google account, a Google+ profile (with a professional quality photo of you), and a chiropractic website. While there are a few different ways to set up Google Authorship, we will follow the most common way to set it up. After we are finished, we will check our work using the Google Rich Snippet Tool.
Part One – Set Up a Contributor Link on Your Profile
1. Go to your “About” tab.
2. Scroll down to “Links.”
3. Select “Edit.”
4. Find the “Contributor to” area.
5. Choose “Add custom link.”
6. In the “Label” field, put your practice’s name.
7. In the “URL” field, put your website address exactly as it appears in the search results.
8. Once done, click “Save.”
Part Two – Edit Your Website to Complete Setup
1. In your website content, add a byline that says: “By (Fill in Your Name)”
2. Create a text link somewhere on the page for “Your Name” and link it to your Google+ profile.
3. Be sure to include rel=author in that link.
It should look similar to this:
By <a href=”https://plus.google.com/[youridhere]?rel=author”> Your Name </a>
4. Test your efforts by navigating to Google Rich Snippet Testing Tool, inserting your website address, and hitting “Preview.”
If you were set it up properly, you will see “Authorship is working for this webpage” under the “Authorship Testing Result” are. If not, go through the steps again to recheck your work.
It will likely take some time for Google to recognize your efforts, ie. before your Authorship shows up in search results. For more information about optimizing your chiropractic website, call 1-800-IMATRIX to speak with an Internet Consultant.